Psychological research shows that from a very early age humans mimic or reflect other people’s facial expressions. The obvious one is that if you smile at someone they will instinctively smile back (unless you’re Victoria Beckham).
- Psychologists have also shown that the mere physical act of smiling makes us feel happier. So even if we fake a smile it will have a positive impact on our mood.
- Further to this physiologists have demonstrated that people who are generally of a positive disposition will have a longer life expectancy than grumpy buggers.
Combine all these and we get the following:
1. If you smile at someone, they are likely to smile back.
2. This will improve their mood
3. An improved mood means a longer life
So by smiling at someone you are helping them live longer!
The power of a smile!!!