I typed in “quotes goals” in Google. The first one was “515 quotes about goals”.
Everyone from Albert Einstein to Coco Chanel has something pithy to say about goals:
“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.”
“If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things”
Successful people work tirelessly for what they want. But even more important – They know what they want. Do you?
• “I want happiness”
• “I want money”
• “I want love”
• “I want success”
• “I want to smash my target!”
The Goal Process:
1. First and probably most important: DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT.
2. Whatever you want, you then need to determine how you are going to get it and set a timeframe e.g. this is going to happen by next year.
3. You need to decide if the sacrifices you have to make to get it are worth it. Do you want it enough?
4. Then you need to set out a plan with milestones of achievement (the thousand mile journey starts with one step).
5. THEN YOU NEED TO DO IT.
Let’s look at a simple one – You want to run a marathon
1. OK you’ve made the decision – that’s your goal.
2. To get there you are going to have to run (a lot) over a long period and you will need to set a time frame, say 6 months.
3. You are going to have to sacrifice time and pleasures (food, drink, lie-ins). You are going to suffer discomfort and pain. Can you be bothered? Do you want it enough?
4. You will then set up (or find) a running plan. Have milestones, 1 mile, 5 miles, half marathon, 20 miles...
5. But most of all you need to stick to it...there is no point in all that planning if you just give up.
If you don’t have a goal you’ll never score.