Note to Sales #16. Rules of Negotiation
In a hostage situation the FBI have 5 steps to a negotiated settlement:
1. Active Listening: Listen to their side and make them aware you’re listening.
2. Empathy: You get an understanding of where they’re coming from and how they feel.
3. Rapport: Empathy is what you feel. Rapport is when they feel it back. They start to trust you.
4. Influence: Now that they trust you, you’ve earned the right to work on problem solving with them and recommend a course of action.
5. Behavioural Change: They act. (And maybe come out with their hands up.)
Blimey, this sounds a prospect meeting!